Everything you didn't know about coffee (and nobody had told you)
Coffee is not just that dark elixir that makes you active in the morning. It is the second most consumed beverage in the world, only surpassed by water and is a lot of things that you might not know…
- Caffeine is the most used psychoactive in the world. In other words it is the most consumed drug on the planet. It's in coffee, tea, chocolate, mate, cola drinks, energizers, pain relievers, and so on.
- Like any drug if consumed in excess can cause health problems. It is estimated that more than 6 liters of coffee are needed to suffer an overdose of caffeine. It is not worth confirming.
- The coffee tree gives some berries that are small cherries of an acid and sweet flavor with a central stone joined by a tegument, that bone, in truth they are two seeds. After processed and roasted they will become our future coffee. Somehow, coffee is the juice of that cherry.
- Finland is the country with the highest consumption of coffee per capita. 12 kilos per year. And the rest of the Scandinavian countries are in the following positions. Italy is close to 6 kg per person.
- In the United States they take just over 4 kilos and it is New Yorkers who raise the average: they consume 7 times more coffee than the rest of the inhabitants of the other states.
- If you are going to drink coffee it is preferable that you buy them in grains and grind it just before the preparation. It is the way that its properties are not lost and the taste is the best. Buying it ground is like making an orange juice and saving it for a long time. If you like good coffee, surely you love the aroma in your home, then it is worth investing in a grinder.
- Always buy roasted coffee, not crooked. Roasting is an increasingly obsolete process that involves adding up to 15% sugar to the grains. Coffee already has its sugars, it does not need this lacquer that is also harmful.
- You don't need to store the beans in the fridge. Put them in a jar and close it as tightly as possible. Store it in a dark closet and that's it. As every organic product has its useful life, after roasting, in a couple of months its curve of virtues begins to decline until it becomes increasingly absent in flavor.
- The leftover waste does not only serve to make readings and predictions about your future, it has more mundane and gardener uses. It serves as an insect repellent and as a fertilizer for plants. For example for roses and hydrangeas. As you can see, coffee is so virtuous that it serves until after use.